GTB&S is investigating claims surrounding disturbing allegations that Small Smiles Dental Clinic, which has an office is South Toledo – performed unnecessary and painful dental procedures on small children. The parent company, FORBA Holdings, LLC, owns the chain of dental clinics that operate throughout the country and solicits child patients who are covered for dental care under Medicaid. According to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, the company was “exploiting [children] to siphon millions of dollars from Medicaid.”
Allegations of abuse are coming from all over the country and include:
- performing many unnecessary “baby root canals” and crowns
- taking many unnecessary x-rays
- threatening children and calling them names
- causing injury by restraining children in “papoose boards” essentially a straight jacket with a firm back board
- forbidding parents from being present in the examination room
- offering bonuses to clinics that were able to “convert” patients from a routine checkup to major procedures on the same day, including performing as many root canals or crowns as possible
These alarming stories have been investigated by media outlets for some time. An investigative report from the Washington, D.C. area shows video of a child being restrained and having his nose pinched while forcing his mouth open.
In January, the United States settled a False Claims Act with FORBA for $24 million dollars. Unfortunately, none of that money will be used to compensate the children who suffered through any unnecessary procedures. However, other remedies may be available and our law firm is committed to ensuring that your rights to compensation are protected.
If your child has undergone dental treatment at Small Smiles in Toledo, or any other of these clinics, please contact our office at gallonlaw.com or at 419-843-2001 for a free evaluation of your claim.
Michael D. Bell
Attorney, Personal Injury Section
Gallon, Takacs & Boissoneault Co., L.P.A.